Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Box with a Vision


As we start packing up to move an interesting point of contention has arisen between hubs and I.  He wants all the boxes marked with their destination.  I have been marking all the boxes with where they have come from.

Hubs to me, "I have no idea where to put these.  I don't care what room the contents came from in this house.  I need to know where to put it in the new house."

Me to hubs, "...but I need to know where it came from so I will know what is in the box.  Then I will figure out where to put it."

Hubs to me, "It doesn't matter where it came from, what matters is where it is going to!" (Mrs. Clendenin would cringe at ending a sentence with a preposition but my hubs doesn't care and I think he said it well, plus he never knew Mrs. Clendenin.)

All day I have pondered that.  I don't think hubs even realized what a great theological point he made.  How much have I focused on where I came from in my spiritual walk?  Maybe too much.  I believe it is important to know where we come from, no doubt about it, BUT...we also need to know where we're going to.

God calls us to live life from an eternal perspective.  It is about so much more than just the here and now...or the then and gone for that matter.  I don't want to be a box of the past rather than a box to take before the throne.  If I'm more focused on where I came from rather than where I'm going to, how can I ever see life any differently?

I want to see life through eternal eyes, not my weak worldly eyes.  Heaven is where I'm going to, no matter where I've come from. When I stand before God, I want my box to be one He is pleased to open.


Sondie

1 comment:

susanrae said...

Very nice post! I read it to Hubs... he said, "She can write! She shouldn't waste that talent!" I'm glad you are writing again!

I want to be a box that God is pleased to open too!