Friday, June 22, 2012

5 minute Friday


It is that time again!  Time to write for 5 minutes, unedited, and post whatever rambling thoughts travel from my brain to fingertips.  You can read more here.

This week's topic:  Risk

The very word scares me.  Am I risk taker?  No.  I like life in a safe little bubble.  How Godly is that?

After  9-11 I realized there is no such thing as a "safe little bubble".  As much control as we think we have, well really we have none.

I'm on my first youth group trip as a chaperone this weekend.  One of the really cool parts is that the adults get recreation time...outdoor challenging games....as well as Bible study time while the kids are in their groups.  Today we talked about the sovereignty of God and I gotta tell ya'....there is great comfort in that.  I can rest in that.  I can risk in that!

No matter what happens He has it under control.  God is not in Heaven wringing His hands, pacing with worry or anxiety.  As my twin reminded me, He doesn't freak out about things.  He has this.  He has me.  Even during the 9-11 times, during the Red Sea times, during the manna times...all the time!

He risked it all....he paid it all...I can get out of my comfort zone and risk failure...risk "exposure"....risk
vulnerability...risk speaking truth...

The opposite of faith is fear...maybe there are times that the opposite of faith is risk?

Sondie

6 comments:

T. L. Cole said...

I'm right there with you. I don't like risk either.

Thank you for the reminder that God "has this thing."

Have a great weekend with the kids! Praying God does big things through your presence there.

t.

hobwas said...

I like your post! I wonder also if sometimes a synonym for faith is risk? I'm not discounting what you said... I just wonder if in some situations risk is something we do in faith. What do you think?

T. L. Cole said...

I agree. Sometimes they can be synonymous. Or always. If you're not risking,is it really faith?

wynnegraceappears.com said...

Hopping over here from Lisa Jo's FMF. This is a great post, and oh so comforting and true. Aren't we glad he has it all covered, in His Love and Grace. Glad I visited, I hope to see you at The Gypsy Mama's again. wishing JOY

Elizabeth said...

Coming over from The Gypsy Mama - love that there are so many people who write so freely and straight from the heart. Loved the words!

Elizabeth

http://onegloriousambition.blogspot.com/2012/06/five-minute-friday-risk.html

Sondie said...

Yes, hobwas ...I do agree that risk can actually be faith lived out! As I was reflecting on my post I thought about this flip side. Risking all because I have faith, or just risking even in small things as I grow my faith. This weekend with the kids grew my faith for sure. Enjoyed the thoughts!