Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saturday Soup

I spent most of Saturday cleaning my closet which was good and bad. It was part of my effort to reduce clutter which is a very good thing for many, many reasons. Since I was focused on cleaning I decided to use the slow cooker to make soup. It was wonderful....the whole time I cleaned I could smell the soup. For just an instant the smell of soup cooking would make me panic and I'd start to go stir it... then ahhh, relief as I remembered that it was in the slow cooker which made it worry free. (Too bad I didn't have a reminder smell that I had left the bathroom sink running while trying to unclog a drain as I cleaned the closet-funny story but I wasn't laughing at the time....the older I get the harder multi-tasking is)

Anyway, here's what I put in my slow cooker:

1 onion, chopped
1 c baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 c green pepper, chopped
1 c yellow pepper, chopped
1 c red pepper, chopped
5 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
butter-a small chunk
olive oil-once around the pan
white wine-few slugs in the pan
3 chicken breasts-boneless,skinless
2 boxes chicken broth
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 10 oz can mild Rotele tomatoes
handful or 2 of baby carrots, cut in bite size pieces
1 cup medium pearl barley
~1-2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
pepper and salt to taste

Saute onion, mushrooms, peppers and garlic in butter and olive oil until tender... add a few slugs of chardonnay if you like. I liked. Transfer to large slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is done and barley is tender. I keep the breasts whole and cut the chicken just before serving so it doesn't get too dry. Hot bread and cold salad...your meal is complete.

It was delicious! This does make a bunch of soup so if you are only feeding a few people just half the recipe. Hubby and daughter didn't make it home in time from their trip to Gram's house but they made it home safely about 9 last night-yeah! Hubby was so impressed with the closet he didn't say anything about the bathroom....or maybe I forgot to tell him. Oops.

Sondie

No comments: