Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Country Mouse


Yes, I am a country mouse...but I am intrigued with the idea of being a city mouse. It all started while being in Washington DC over the weekend. Much of it while having breakfast each morning at this neat spot on the corner across from our hotel (which was VERY nice, thank you Mr. M!). As we sat enjoying a great cup of coffee I watched all the people around me and of course made up stories in my mind about them. This is a whole nother blog post so I won't go into all that, but it did make me think of the story of my life. Specifically the story of my life as a country mouse.

I passed up the opportunity to move to NY when I was 17, choosing to attend a university a few hours from home. How different would an experience of living in NY have made me? This weekend made me think about the difference between a country me and a city me. I am obviously a country me and am right where God placed me so I have no plans to become a city me, but what if...

the metro was my form of transportation.
rain boots and coat were essential for walking city streets to work on rainy days.
grocery shopping was done in small, frequent trips v.s. a trunk full every week.
the local park was my quiet spot.
the view from my window made people look like ants.
hundreds of neighbors lived on the same block.

As I hopped in my car to head to a local book store and run some errands this morning these thoughts were racing through my mind. My little one and I compared/contrasted how our day might look if we lived in a city rather than our little subdivision here in the south. We decided that we love our lives here and wouldn't want it any other way. We are country mice who love to visit the city.

Sondie, a country mouse.

No comments: