Monday, January 18, 2010

Cooking God's Way

37 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:37-38 ESV

Last night as I was reading my Bible these verses plucked my strings of interest. I love the mental picture of good measure. I see it like this: God takes the good measure and presses it down kind of like brown sugar so that He can get more of the good stuff in one serving. Then He shakes up the pressed down good stuff with other good stuff to get the best possible mix of goodness-which runs over the top of the heavenly measuring cup. Once the cup is overflowing He pours it right into our laps.

There is only one catch....He uses the same measuring cup and ingredients that you are using. Whatever measure you are using is what is going to be used on you. Wow. This made me think about judging and condemning others...about forgiving and loving others. Do I make a conscious effort with what I'm whipping up in my measuring cup to pour out into others? OR...am I stingy with ingredients of goodness? Have I chosen a small cup so that I can hoard the best stuff for myself? Either way, not good choices. Hmmmm.

As I continued to read the next passage that strummed my strings was this:

“For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, 44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thornbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. 45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6: 43-45 ESV

Out of the abundance of my heart is what my mouth speaks-whatever is the treasure of my heart is what pours into my measuring cup. To me, this includes our unspoken words or actions which often speak the loudest. So, what is the treasure in my heart? Do I harbor a treasure chest full of forgiveness, love, charity, service etc or is it full of envy, anger, jealousy, bitterness? Whatever is filling up my spiritual heart is what naturally pours out until my measuring cup is overflowing. I can't pour out figs if I am full of thorns. If I am serving thorn pie to others I can't expect to be fed fig pudding.

Makes me want to head back into the kitchen for some quiet cooking time with God...pressed down, shaken up until overflowing, poured out...the question is....overflowing with what?

Blessings to you!
Sondie

2 comments:

B said...

mmm...good and tasty thoughts!

Ken said...

Like this - miss you. Still want your recipe for dressing with sausage, cranberries ...