Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Two for Tuesday


It just so happens that the two things that got my heart rate up this evening both involve plants....hence a two for Tuesday. Here they are.

I've known the story of Elijah and the broom tree for many years and it amazes me how God speaks different things to me through the same passage of scripture during different seasons of my life. I was helping E with her homework on Elijah and was reminded of how God spoke in a whisper to Elijah...we had a good discussion on the requirement of being still in order to hear God's voice since he doesn't always shout. (The "Be Still" verses in the Bible have been pointed out to me on more than one occasion.) Once we were done I decided to go back and read the scripture just to see if it really points out the whispering and of course it does. However, once I started reading the passage I was struck by something else.

When Elijah was sitting under the broom tree, so exhausted in every way he was begging to die, God sent an angel to feed him. The second time He sent the angel, the angel told Elijah, "Arise and eat, for the journey is too great for you." The... Journey... Is... Too... Great... For... You.
The biggest burden lifted from my shoulders. Isn't God amazing? He knows when the journey is too great for us. He knows when we are so exhausted that we can't take another single thing or we'd just as soon die. He sends his angels, He provides, He sustains. We have only to cry out to Him. The next verse says that Elijah went in the strength of that food for forty days and forty nights to his next stopping place. So, when I feel like I can't go on I'll sit beneath a broom tree (maybe a pine will work) and cry out to Him. He will nourish my soul. (1 Kings 19)



The next thing has absolutely nothing to do with spirituality. It is a book that finally arrived called Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart. The subtitle is The Weed that Killed Lincoln's Mother and other Botanical Atrocities. Ooohhhh-I'm so excited about this book. It is full of wonderful sketches and information on over 200 plants with deadly properties. Maybe I should have been a botanist. I am comforted by the fact that I also loved the book by Michael Pollan-The Botany of Desire...yes, it is the plants, not the homicide potential that gets my heart pounding.

Hmmm, maybe the message of the day is....desperate times call for a broom tree not a strychnine tree!

Cheers to broom trees,
Sondie

No comments: