Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking Back, Looking Forward



You shall not go out in haste,
and you shall not go in flight,
for the Lord will go before you,
and the God of Israel will be your rear guard.
Isaiah 52:12 ESV

The end of another year, the crossing of another finish line...the start of new marathon called 2010. As I reflect on the last year, I end up lumping 2 years together like a pair of twins-individuals yet bound by commonalities. So for me the end of 2009 really seems like the end of the elder twin 2008 and the baby twin 2009.

God is the God of our future but he is also the God of our yesterdays. I have been remembering the last 2 years of yesterdays in terms of spiritual and emotional growth. While difficult, I have to remember that God had already gone before me, and now is my rear guard-I can rest those memories in His capable, grace filled loving hands. I am thankful that the past 2 years have not been wasted, that they have rescued me from my shallow securities, strengthened my muscles for races yet to come.

I am trying to avoid going into the new year hastily, wiping sweat from my brow running across the finish line with no consideration for the race I have run, only running blindly in an escape from yesterday. I do not want to go into 2010 with forgetful delight or impulsive thoughtlessness. I am praying that I am filled with the peace of Him who has already dipped his fingertips into my future, cupped palm ready to carry me forward.

I don't know what 2010 holds. It may be better than the twin years, but it could be worse. What I do know is that with God nothing is wasted, the growth necessary...I can live 2010 in misery holding on to pain, or I can move forward with spiritual muscles strengthened as I rest in Him. I look forward with anticipation of what God has in store for this year. You?

This is my challenge to each of you-rest your memories in God's embrace as you reflect on the growth He has offered you through challenges....look forward not comforted by shallow securities, but in the peace that He is already at the finish line of 2010 with arms open wide.

God's peace to you in 2010!
Sondie

No comments: