Sunday, January 31, 2010

How did such a thing happen?

So I said to them, ‘Let any who have gold take it off.’ So they gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf.” Exodus 32: 24 ESV

This was Aaron's answer to Moses' angry question of where the golden calf came from. Of all the things he could have said I wasn't expecting this. "Golly gee, Moses. I had no idea that when I told everyone to bring me gold to put into the fire that a golden calf was going to come out. Wow, who would have thunk it? I sure didn't create this thing." Really.

This is the same man God had just been telling Moses about on the mountain...the same man who was to be set aside as a high priest. Yet, here we see him not taking any responsibility for his sin. He blamed it on the evil people who wanted an idol, not himself who created the idol for them.

How many times do I do this same thing? Sin, then deny my sin. Create nice little idols then wonder where they came from? Blame others for my sin. Act surprised by the outcome of my sin.

We all sin and fall short daily....the question is do we recognize sin for what it is? Are we broken by our sin? Do we think that if we are oblivious to it that it will just go away and we will be fine? Well, it won't just go away. Nope, there will be a consequence and it will likely affect others around us. I discovered that as I read the rest of Chapter 32. About 3000 people died as a result of that sin.

This reminded me that I need to face my sin, even pray that my secret sins will be revealed to me before harming others.

Sondie

9 comments: