Sunday, January 3, 2010

Goals for 2010


I have been thinking a lot about goals for 2010...to the point that my brain has been on overload, which I don't think is the goal. Through a series of events over the last few days I have whittled my goal list down to a much more manageable one.

It started with an article a friend gave me about overloading our prefrontal cortex and how this actually makes us less likely to achieve goals. Yes, this article came even as my prefrontal cortex was weighted down with lofty goals for the upcoming year. It left me pondering how to set goals (which I need to do or I'll list about aimlessly) without going crazy. I thought I could make one goal for each month-that would make it less taxing on my tired brain.

This just didn't rest easy in my spirit though. If my goal list has already overwhelmed me then something just isn't quite right....the purpose of my goal setting already thwarted. Well, I got my answer at church today.

As we were singing the song Savior, the lyrics struck a chord (must have been a prefrontal cortex chord) in my mind and in my heart. Here, hum over these words....

You’re my Savior, Restorer, Rebuilder, Rewarder, My Refuge, Redeemer, Defender, My Healer, Savior.

That is when it hit me. God centered life is The Goal.

The goal to find balance-He is my restorer, rebuilder, rewarder, refuge, redeemer, defender, healer, savior.

The goal to budget and pay down debt-He is my restorer, rebuilder, rewarder, refuge, redeemer, defender, healer, savior.

The goal to keep joy in my heart-He is my restorer, rebuilder, rewarder, refuge, redeemer, defender, healer, savior.

It went from there. Any goal I've come up with is possible through Him. If my main goal is to keep God at the center of my life everything else will fall into place. Beautifully. Peacefully. Totally in His control.

Finally, a plan for 2010 I can live with. Whew.

Here's to a God centered year!

Sondie

1 comment:

candyknits said...

I agree whole-heartedly!