Wednesday, November 25, 2009

First Marathon Done!


Here's a shot of us starting the marathon. We were in quite a crowd... in the wrong corral even but that didn't stop us! We were the only ones walking in this crowd so we stood out a bit but oh well. I was so excited! I took pictures the whole route but I won't bore you with all of those, just a few.




One of the cheerleaders fairly early on in the race.




First drink break. I had no idea that this would happen. Cups were everywhere! You took your sips then just threw your cup down. The volunteers used rakes and snow shovels to keep the mess cleared out of the middle of the road.





One of the many murals throughout the city. Beautiful!



More dancing, singing cheerleaders!




The longest mile. Ugh! Mile 11 to 12 seemed to take years! B reminded me that at this point it was like re-entering the subdivision we live in when we walked to prepare for the marathon. It helped to think of it this way.



Crossing the Finish Line! Yes, capital letters for Finish Line! The announcer said, "We've been waiting for you girls!" as he called out our names. Everyone was cheering and clapping. Ok, so they weren't cheering for the two of us, still it felt like we were the stars in a parade! The official time clock says 3:36 but we didn't start with the first corral at 7:00 so this wasn't our time. Our official time was 3:20 so we walked about a 15 minute mile. Pretty good I thought especially with picture taking and texting friends along the way.

Thanks for all of the encouragement along the way my peeps!
Sondie

2 comments:

Ken said...

I am proud of you! Not just because you finished.

Tom Bailey said...

That is HUGE to complete a marathon it leads to so much "if I can do a marathon I can easily do ____" Late congrats again.

Kindest regards,
Tom Bailey