Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fat Friday-Literary Recipe


I recently received a very cool cookbook called The Book Lover's Cookbook. It has recipes from books as well as the passage in the book that mentions the food. It is full of great quotes too. I don't know about you guys but often when I am reading a book and food is mentioned, it makes me want to try it. Now I can...very fun! The one I tried this week was delicious and I plan to make it again, but think I'll use a better cut of meat (filet mignon would be super in this). It is from Elizabeth Berg's book Open House.

Here's the passage:

I open the refrigerator, pull out the steak. I'm making Stroganoff, David's favorite. God, that's good! he said, last time I made it. You can cook, honey; that you can do. I slice the meat thinly, look out the window at the tree branches swaying in the wind. It's supposed to storm tonight. A power outage, and David stays to take care of us, how could he leave?

(C'mon now, admit it...doesn't it make your mouth water, even if you don't like stroganoff?)

Here's her recipe:

1 and 1/4 pounds beef sirloin
2 Tbs butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 large portobello mushrooms, chopped
1/4 c. dry white wine
1/4 tsp basil ( I used fresh from my plant!)
pinch nutmeg
3/4 c. milk
1 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 c. sour cream
1 12oz package spinach fettuccine, cooked and drizzled with melted butter

Cut the beef across the grain into 1/4 inch thick slices. Then cut the slices in 1 inch wide strips. Melt 1 Tbs butter in a large frying pan and brown the meat on high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping once to cook evenly.

Reduce heat to medium-high, add the onion, salt, and pepper and saute an additional 2 minutes.

Remove the meat and onions from the pan, set aside in a bowl, and cover to keep warm. Add the mushrooms and remaining 1 Tbs butter to the pan and saute for 5 minutes, or until tender.

Return the meat and onion to the pan with the mushrooms. add the white wine, basil, and nutmeg. Stir and heat for about 2 minutes over medium heat.

Remove the meat, mushrooms, and onions from the pan and set aside in covered bowl. Stir the milk and flour into the drippings left in the pan, heating over low heat until the sauce is somewhat thickened, for 1-2 minutes. Return the meat, mushrooms, and onions to the pan. stir in the sour cream and warm the mixture over low heat for about a minute. Serve over buttered fettucine. Serves 4-6.

Hope you get a chance to read the book and make the stroganoff!!

No comments: