Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Cup

"And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, 'My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.'" Matthew 26:39

This is what bearing our sins means to him-utter distress of soul as he confronts total abandonment and absolute wrath from his Father on the cross, a distress and an abandonment and a rejection we cannot begin to grasp.

As we watch Jesus pray in agony in Gethsemane, he has every right to turn his tearful eyes toward you and me and shout, "This is your cup. You're responsible for this. It's your sin! You drink it." This cup should rightfully be thrust into my hand and yours.

Instead Jesus takes it himself...so that from the cross he can look down at you and me, whisper our names and say, "I drain this cup for you-for you who have lived in defiance of me, who have hated me, who have opposed me. I drink it all...for you."

from Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross-C.J. Mahaney

2 comments:

The Scotts said...

Sondie, this book sounds great - can you post the entire title, author - I might want to try to find ti. thanks - Deb

Lynn Cross said...

I have read one of his books. Pretty good. Love, Lynn