Saturday, February 14, 2009

Book Review #6-If You Lived Here I'd Know Your Name

If You Lived Here I'd Know Your Name by Heather Lende
Pages: 281
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

This book is an enjoyable quick easy read. Heather Lende incorporates stories about other people from Haines, Alaska as she tells the story of her life. Since she is an obituary writer there is a lot of death so be prepared for that, but she is humorous and uplifting to read in spite of this. There is much to be learned from death...much to celebrate in life that we often take for granted.

I did have hopes that there would be many pages to dog ear, many passages with great pearls of eloquently stated wisdom. While I enjoyed it a great deal, I was a little disappointed by the lack of depth. This is the reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5.

Here are the three passages I marked:

Wild places are reminders that the world doesn't revolve around us. It doesn't care about our little successes or smashing failures. The tides ebb and flow and the seasons change regardless of how we live or die.

All these great old dames make me want to be like them when I grow up. I want to spend my life in the same place with the same friends and, after all those years in the same community still surprise people.

Only adults weep with joy. Children don't. They haven't learned how rare moments of true happiness are.


No comments: