Saturday, November 8, 2008

Falling Leaves, Resting Trees


Many of you who read my blog already know that fall is my favorite season. We have been blessed with beautiful colors this year. Erin and I were discussing God as an artist this morning. She said that the trees are God's art. I agree that God's creativity is very evident in the fall colors.

I came across a quote I wrote down in the heat of this past summer. We were on a stolen weekend with friends at the beach, enjoying the bright sunshine and the hot sand, and I was already envisioning fall.

It is a mellow day, very gentle. The ash has lost its leaves and when I went out to get the mail and stopped to look up at it. I rejoiced to think that soon everything here will be honed down to structure. It is all a rich farewell now to leaves, to color. I think of the trees and how simply they let go, let fall the riches of a season, how without grief (it seems) they can let go and go deep into their roots for renewal and sleep. May Sarton

A few verses near to my heart go along with this a bit...

Isaiah 30:15...In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength...

Psalms 1: 3...like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

Hope you can make time to enjoy the beautiful season, and to let God speak to you through His artwork. Here's to letting go!

PS-The picture is one I took this morning from my bedroom window. How can I not feel blessed with a view like this?

1 comment:

Lynn Cross said...

Fall is my favorite too. I love you Lynn