Saturday, November 22, 2008

Confess Your Righteousness


I am going through a very good devotional and wanted to share a little of it. It is based on Ps 51, David's confession and quest for mercy.

From the first chapter:

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Ps 51:1

Quotes from the author Paul David Tripp:

We don't careen from big decision to big decision. We all live in an endless series of little moments. The character of a life isn't set in ten big moments. The character of a life is set in ten thousand little moments of everyday life. It's the themes of struggles that emerge from those little moments that reveal what's really going on in our hearts.....

...Rather than appealing to the mercy of the Lord in the face of my sin, what I actually do instead is function as my own defense lawyer and present a list of arguments for my own righteousness. The theology behind the defense is that my greatest problem is outside of me, not inside of me....

...Before you can ever make a clean and unamended confession of your sin, you have to first begin by confessing your righteousness. It's not just your sin that separates your from God: your righteousness does as well. Because, when you are convinced you are righteous, you don't seek the forgiving, rescuing, and restoring mercy that can be found only in Jesus Christ.

Yeeouch! Scripture tells us that there is not one righteous among us, yet my "righteousness" keeps me from confessing my sin. When I am in "righteous" mode I can't even see my sin to confess.

This led me to the first beatitude...blessed are the poor in spirit. If I am to be poor in spirit I must let go of my pride, my righteousness, and stop being a defense lawyer. Only then can I recognize my sin , grieve my sin (blessed are those who mourn), as I confess and seek His mercy. Mercy that is new every moment of every day....mercy that is greater than my worst sins.

May God be a part of our ten thousand little moments as we confess our righteousness in each one of them.


1 comment:

The Scotts said...

Ouch indeed! Thanks for sharing these convicting and yet eye opening thoughts!