Saturday, September 27, 2008

Secret Sins

This morning during my Bible reading I came across a verse about secrets.

Romans 2:16
This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ as my gospel declares.

I think I have things neatly tucked in the secret places of my heart, but God sees it all. This seems obvious even to me that there are no secrets from God, yet I would hazard a guess that we all have secret sins. I think these sins are harming no one, certainly not even myself, but they are. I think I can put band aids over them and bind them deep within to keep them from spilling out into my life, but this is to no avail.

These secret sins...anger, bitterness, envy, self-pity, pride, self-righteousness, idols of success and self worth ...you get the picture...really do affect our interactions with others and with God. They are barriers to the freedom we should be walking in. They change how we treat one another and instead of loving, we lash out hurting people in our path of self destruction. God sees all of this whether we admit it to him, whether we invite him into our secrets or not. As the above scripture says, we will be judged for this one day.

The antidote?

Ephesians 5:11-14
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:

Wake up O sleeper
rise from the dead
and Christ will shine on you.

Then, replace the secret sins with this:

Philippians 4:12-13
I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Father God,
Help me be satisfied with your provisions...whether I am hurting, growing, or thriving. You are enough and you provide my portion. Come into the secrets in my heart and shine your light on them, yes even the secret I am struggling with this very morning. Remove these secret sins and let me walk in freedom and peace. Help me not act like a disobedient child, never happy with who you created me to be...never happy with what you have provided. Help me focus on the eternal, everlasting future, not the here and now and my perceived lack.
In Jesus' name....Amen.


No comments: