Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Grandmother's Influence


Today I have thought a lot about grandmothers. I thanked God that although I never knew a grandmother, I had one who had the foresight to pray for her future grandchildren. Grandmother Pearl knew that her death would leave a 3 year old baby daughter (my mom) in the hands of her very ungodly husband, hence prayers of anguish for that baby girl to have Godly influence, motherly influence, so that she could become a godly mother to her own children someday....that somehow the daughter and her children would be led to Christ. Well, her prayers were answered.

My whole train of thought started with thinking about my sisters...Donna and Rose who are in the midst of a very difficult and heartbreaking situation. Donna is providing safe haven for 2 children as Rose is leading the 3rd girl, Sophie, through a battle for her life. Rose is a grandmother who is called to be "That Grandmother" who has a Godly influence on the lives of her grandchildren. She will more than likely be raising these girls and will provide the foundation for their walks of faith as they grow. One day they will look back and realize that but for a grandmother's unbelievable love they may have had a much more difficult path to Jesus.

I have thought about my friend Belinda who had a grandmother whose influence gave Belinda a heart for God while her own parents still don't know Christ. What a blessing that grandmother was for her...what evidence of God's redeeming power.

I have also thought about my friend Sandra who is the godly influence in her granddaughter's life...what seeds she is planting and nurturing. What a walk of faith this has to be for her.

I have been reminded of how many women my friend Lynn has spent time mentoring. None of these women have been family, only sisters in Christ that she has walked with. Exposing her own wounds so that others may find healing. What a radical way to live.

At the spiritual mothering conference last fall we learned so much about women mentoring women, sharing wisdom by living life together with women older and younger than ourselves. When Paul planted a church in Crete, he left Titus in charge. Titus met much opposition on this island known for laziness, gluttony, lying, and all manners of evil. The book of Titus is a letter of advice from Paul on how to manage such behavior. Susan Hunt (Spiritual Mothering) points out that of all the ways Paul could have told the women to combat the decadence of their culture, he told them to invest their energies in training the younger women to live Christianly in their society. I can certainly draw parallels to current culture and the need for investing in our younger women.

Anyway, this is what has been on my mind today. The older I get the more wisdom I see in mentoring others...and allowing myself to be mentored. I pray someone will mentor my daughter and Belinda's daughter who don't live near their grandmothers... I pray that if there is someone who could benefit from my mentoring, God would reveal them....that if someone feels called to mentor me I would be ready to receive that gift. I pray for women around me to share the call, to love one another, and to reach out to others.

We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done....so that the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands. Psalm 78:4, 6-7

No comments: